HIBCC clarifies indentification of device-software versions in the HIBC supplier labeling standard and UDI
At the recent HIBCC Auto-ID Committee meeting it was confirmed that the serial number field in the secondary data structure (the “production identifier” data source for UDI) may be used to accommodate software version identification.
It is common for software versions to use a “.” to differentiate incremental changes in software, and since use of special characters of this nature are not excluded from the secondary data structure (they are excluded from the primary data structure) software versions can be identified as part of serial numbers in the HIBC bar code and UDI Production Identifier.
For example, “SLS2.4” is identified as a serial number in the secondary data structure as follows:
- 19 Feb 2019Medical Technology Association of Australia (MTAA) releases final UDI System Proposal
- 05 Feb 2019MedTech Europe releases document on the differences in UDI requirements for the US and EU
- 29 Nov 2018HIBCC designated by the Saudi-Arabian FDA as a UDI Issuing Agency in Draft Regulation
- 23 Oct 2018HIBCC met with European Commission and FDA in Silver Springs, MD on October 17th
- 16 Jul 2018Deactivation of iHIN Guest Accounts